Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have a lot of scientific advancements and brand-new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser. Discover who will in content fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician does not know can injure you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting until the new lenses are readily available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of millions of people around the globe.